3.17.2014
Letters to Our Children: March, 2014
Grace,
This has been a long, hard winter. We have had more weather-related school cancellations than I can remember, and even more delayed starts. We have been stuck inside, thanks to unusually cold temperatures and wind chills. Even when we are blessed with a relatively mild day, there is no place to play because of the mounds of snow that cover fields and playgrounds. Bundling up and running to and from our destinations has become a chore. We find ourselves wanting to hibernate, to pass the days in our pajamas in front of the fireplace. So here we sit...waiting for better days, believing that they will come.
Finally, after many months of waiting, we are beginning to see signs of Spring. Reminders that this winter will not last forever, and will indeed become a memory at some point. Flowers have arrived at our local markets, we have heard birds chirping, and the plans for our summer garden have been made.
As I think of all of this, I can't help but think about the seasons of our lives. One thing I can promise you is that there will be winters like this. There will be times in your life when the world seems dark and cold, when getting out of bed and facing the world feels like an insurmountable obstacle. There will be times when you want to hibernate. Times when you honestly wonder if you will ever again feel the warmth of the sun on your face.
But one thing I have learned, my love, is that this world never stops spinning. The sun will always rise on a new day. And, even when you don't believe it is possible, you will be okay again. Please know that there is nothing life can throw your way that you can't handle. You are strong and have the ability to overcome anything. When those winters seem long and cold, I pray that you will reach for those who love you and understand your heart. And I pray that I am at the top of that list.
Yesterday was a warm day, and tonight the forecast is calling for snow. But there is hope in my heart that better days are coming.
All my love.
As a mother and a photographer, I have been fortunate to find myself in the company of other moms and photographers who speak my language. I have found a community of women who feel deeply for their children, and strive to hold on to every moment with their cameras. We are from all corners of the world, but we all feel the same love. It is with some of these very women that I have taken on a personal project: Letters to Our Children. Please continue to Lori's blog to read her beautiful letter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Jess, you are such a wonderful writer, and your letters are always so thoughtful! Grace will love them when she gets older!
ReplyDeleteyou are a great writer! as I read your letters, I am wishing I could be half the writer as you! Your daughter is lucky, she will love reading these!
ReplyDelete