Pages

9.06.2013

Letters to Our Children: September 2013




Grace,

If there was every any doubt that you are strong and wise beyond your years, the beginning of this school year confirmed it.  This is a year of change, of transition. You are leaving your safe Butterfly classroom to head to the Pre-K classroom at school, the Monkey room.  My cousin, Sydney, is leaving her safe world at home to spread her wings at college.  On the evening before she left for school, we spent some time with Syd. She turned to you, stating that you were the only person who understood how she was feeling...and you didn't take that lightly. Syd shared her fears and her worries about this new start, and you shared the same. Together, you bonded over fears about teachers, about classmates, about fitting in, and most of all- about missing your families. It was a therapeutic evening for both of you, and you found comfort in each other. Your wisdom came through loud and clear when you told her that she should take something that reminds her of home, so that she could look at it when she was feeling sad.

Finally, the big day of change arrived. You were worried, but you bravely faced your new classroom with only a few tears. I like to believe that you and Syd each had the strength of each other inside you that day. If nothing else, you knew you were not alone in your feelings- and you have discovered at a young age how powerful that can be. When I picked you up from school that day, the first thing you said to me was, "How was Syd's fist day at college?"  The second thing, "I had the best day ever!"

Grace, you amaze me daily with your strength. You are afraid of a lot, and that is ok, because you don't let it stop you. You are brave, my love. As I remind you almost daily, being brave doesn't mean not being afraid. Being brave means being afraid...and facing those fears head on. I am so proud to say that you do that every single day. You are brave, and you are my inspiration in life. I'm so honored to be your mother, and to learn these lessons from you. Everyone who is fortunate to receive your wisdom and perspective is, without a doubt, a better person because of it.  I love you, sweet girl.

All my love.

As a mother and a photographer, I have been fortunate to find myself in the company of other moms and photographers who speak my language. I have found a community of women who feel deeply for their children, and strive to hold on to every moment with their cameras. We are from all corners of the world, but we all feel the same love. It is with some of these very women that I have taken on a personal project: Letters to Our Children.  Please continue to Dana's blog to read her beautiful letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment